Sunday 23 February 2014

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, I have new favourite MAC, I think you'll like it too! - VIVA GLAM Rihanna lipstick review.

Hmmm... where do I start with red lipstick?

Red lipstick and I have a love hate relationship. Before Friday, I only owned one (MAC’s Red Russian), and some days I loved it and other times I hated it.

With this in mind, I was surprised when I found myself gazing longingly at the newest red MAC had to offer. A lipstick part of their latest ‘VIVA GLAM’ Rihanna campaign, designed in collaboration with the pop princess herself.

I was drawn in, not by the packaging (I must have been ill), but by the description. This lipstick is described as ‘Frosted’. As soon as I swatched the lipstick on my hand, I knew I had to have it, and when my mum kindly offered to pay – I couldn’t refuse!

 
I have been trying, and mainly failing, for the last two days to take pictures of the lipstick for this blog, but none of them do the colour justice! Similarly, I have also been trying to find the right words and colours to describe the hues and the finished look. Although this is marketed as a red lipstick, it is very much on the pinker side. With a blue undertone, the colour reminds me of an icy fuchsia. Likened to a cold day in the beginnings of Spring.
 
 
The lipstick has a glossy finish, and I was happy to wear it without a lip gloss over the top. In the picture below (apologies for the quality), I wore it with MAC’s Brick lip liner. The colour had the staying power you would expect from a good quality lipstick – and was very easily applied.


Now, I couldn’t do a blog post without talking about the packaging. The lipstick comes in the same trademark bullet shape we know and love of MAC lipsticks, but has followed the frosted theme by making the case a seductive frosted red. On the inside the shaft is emblazoned with Rihanna’s signature – a nice touch.
 
 
This lipstick has changed the way I feel about red lipstick, and I would highly recommend this if you, like me, are a bit scared or nervous about this bold statement colour. I wore it with a simple silver and black smoky eye and I have absolutely fallen in love with the sheen and finish.

With the RRP of this lipstick, aside from VAT going towards the MAC AIDS Fund – this may indeed be, the perfect shade of red!

What are your favourite reds? Have you tried the new VIVA GLAM Rihanna?

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful lipstick, i don't own a MAC lipstick but this is something on my things to buy list,
    I couldnt wear red i don't think, just not brave enough, like you say it can be scary being such a bold colour, i would have to get one with just a touch of colour (I'm more of a gloss girl that a lipstick) but it looks really good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you!

      You should definitely try a MAC lipstick, they are all beautiful! They have such a lovely texture and finish :) They do some great nudes :)

      Delete
  2. That's such a great shade, I love the colour and the packaging!

    Sharlotte | UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! There really is nothing not to like about it :)

      Delete
  3. that is such a gorgeous shade!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. you can win nearly £150 worth of high-end skincare on my blog, if you fancy entering! click here

    ReplyDelete